~The Hobeck Family ~

Nick, Sara & Aubrey

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sick Baby! :(

Well I knew it would eventually happen, I was just hoping it wouldn't!

Aubrey got sick! :(

It all started about 3 weeks ago, when Nick developed a little cold. My thought was to stop it right there, by giving him some OTC Sudafed. A few days later nothing was better, but we still don't have any health insurance for Nick & I so we couldn't go to the Dr. Anyway, I guess since we share everything in this marriage, (Ha!) he decided to share his cold with me. I have been completely healthy since having Aubrey 8 months ago, and I partly attribute that to breastfeeding. I guess I was a little taken back at how hard this so called "cold" hit me. I was down for the count for a few days. I sucked it up and did some research for a clinic in Cape that could help me out for a, not so outragous price...I was in luck! Cross Trails Medical Center will work with uninsured families on a sliding scale. Perfect! Since Nick just started his new job..(YAY!!) we had basically no income for the previous month, other than my 4 hours a week @ Jackson Hewitt, so the sliding scale worked tremendously in my favor. It only cost me a $20 copay to see the FNP. The swabbed me for the flu, (yikes!) and thank God it cam back negetive! Even though I am totally against medicine, especially while breastfeeding, I gave in and accepted the ABX because I was terrified of giving this nasty cough to Aubrey. I did some research and found out that Amox. is only a L1 in the breasfeeding risk/safety category..so that made me feel a little better. Basically it has the same risk as a Tylenol. That was on Wednesday, and as only our luck would have it Friday night Aubrey started coughing really deep and chesty. I debated taking her to ER right then for fear that she might get pneumonia or RSV . . We decided to hold off and call her pediatrician in the morning. Dr. Olsen was on call the next day, so after talking to him for quite awhile, he confirmed my fears. He felt based on her sypmtoms that she might have RSV. Nick & I packed up and headed to ER. They were really great at Southeast ER. They even sent us through ER Express , to hurry things along. The FNP that saw Aubrey tested for RSV, and surprisingly it came back negetive. Which was a relief, sorta...see they said that it was probably to early to get a positive result, but that even if they did, there is no treatment for RSV because it is a virus. They suggested to follow up with Dr. Olsen's on Monday. I called them Monday morning as got her an appt with the FNP, Michelle. Michelle said that she had a sinus infection and a double ear infection. They gave her Amox. also, & said she should start showing improvement soon. Well...she didn't! She actually got worse, she started coughing a choking on the phlem so bad that she would projectile vomit. I called them back Thursday morning and they wanted to switch her ABX to Omnicef. I've never used that med before so back to researching it. I couldn't find anything to major wrong with it so I agreed. Anything at this point is better for her than all the drainage and cough! *Gross Warning* I am having to suction her poor nose every 30 min or so, and it's thick stringy snot! I feel so bad for her! It breaks my heart for my baby to be in pain or uncomfortable and there be nothing I can do for her. We are on day 2 of the Omnicef Rx and am really hoping that it starts working soon! On the other note, Nick & I are both still sick and with him working midnights, I'm not sure much more could be going on right now.
Next week will be easier because it's his easy shift. If Aubrey & I can hang on for 1 more night shift tonight, we get him back for the next week...(I'll have to post a blog in itself on his funky schedule! HA!)

Well that about wraps it up for my sick family's weeks...if you're still reading, Congrats! I'm long winded so most of my post's will probably be like this...hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment