~The Hobeck Family ~

Nick, Sara & Aubrey

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Many Wrong Assumptions of a Stay at Home Mommy!

Ok...let's just put this out there: I am not bashing either side of the fence on this one...to each their own!, BUT.... I would like to make a point that not all things people think about the SAHM situation is true and POV...let's dive right in, shall we??

1. I am rich, therefore, I don't have to work, and staying home is a luxury...

I find this hysterically funny that people think that...I am not now, nor have I ever been rich enough to not have to work. The fact of the matter is, I can't afford to put Aubrey in an accredited dayschool, or I would might, now. I always planned that I would go back to work sometime, it's just with focusing on school (good grades = good med school...kinda important in my field...) and enjoying my time with Aubrey, I don't have the schedule to go to work. I have debated putting her in a part time preschool, but she needs to be 2 y/o and potty trained before they will take her...otherwise it's just daycare... :(

2. I lay around all day in my pajamas and watch The View....
Again...I LOL! I may not have to get dressed up everyday, and have my hair and make-up perfect all day everyday, but for anyone that has a 17 month old, you know, THEY ARE QUICK!! She is into everything, and has the attention span of a 1 y/o..(no pun intended, it's just true!) I may get to be in sweats most of the day, but by the end of the day, I am exhausted from running and playing all day, it takes a lot of energy to be a take care of a toddler.

3. I'm lazy and have no motivation to work or do anything...
For you people that think that, well....you don't know me! I've never been lazy, (except when I was HUGE 9 months pregnant and on bedrest..) But it's a given...I was ordered by a medical professional to be lazy while fat! :)

4. It's not "Real" work
Here's a quick math lesson for you...
Typical work week for people outside the home...
5 days/week X 8 hrs/day = 40 hr/week   minus  1. quiet drive time in the car
                                                                         2. lunch breaks
                                                                         3. bathroom breaks
                                                                         4. Adult conversations

My work week:
7 days/week X 24 hrs/day =  168 hrs. week    minus 1. 1.5 hour nap a day
                                                                                 2. NO lunch/bathroom breaks
                                                                                 3. My conversations for the day consist of
         "Hi Mama!" "Hi Dada!" (even though he's at work) "Hi Dawsie!" (Dawson the dog), "Hi Ry-ry"(the cat)
"Oh Melmo!"(elmo) "juice" "cow" "pupa"(puppy) and her grabing my purse and keys banging the front door saying "Ba-bye, Mama, Go Ba-bye!"  <3

With that being said...I wouldn't change any of it for anything in the world! She is the best thing that ever came into my life. She is my everything!!

5. I don't work because I'm not intelligent or have a poor education...
Wrong, wrong, wrong! I had an amzaing job that I LOVED before I became a SAHM, I would at St. Luke's hospital as a medical assistant. I did everything for that doctor, and it took a lot of medical knowledge to do my job. After becoming a SAHM, I came to realize that I wouldn't be satisfied going back to that job though. I wanted more. I wanted to treat the patients, not assist. I want to write prescriptions, and counsel patients, not stand there and shake my head agreeing. So I decided it would be the perfect time to go back to school. So I did! I am Pre-Med major and after this semester will have a 3.3 GPA (stupid biological reasonings class!)...anyone who has taken college classes, knows it's not easy, and for those that haven't,,,,well you have no room to talk!...just sayin.....


That is just a very few...but like a said before,,,, I have a very busy day...ALL the time, so no time to sit and blog all day...haha! Baby's waking up....(for those of you who wondered how I had time to type this up...she does nap.."sometimes".... :) And again.... I WOULDN'T TRADE MY SAHM LIFE FOR ANYTHING!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I stumbled upon your blog through a few other people's blogs. I just want to say that I am not a SAHM but wish I could be (we have the opposite situation, we can't afford for me not to work). Anyway, I envy you and I certainly don't think being a SAHM is easy. I would be giving up a lot to be a SAHM, including adult conversations and quiet time. I remember an episode on a TV show a few months ago (maybe Dr. Phil?) that said SAHM have it easy and someone said "No, they are always on-call, there is never any downtime" and I totally agree. Keep being a wonderful mommy to your cute little girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete