June 17, 2009, started off as another normal day for a 37 week pregnant me. I got a shower, got
dressed for work, ate a quick breakfast, kissed my husband goodbye and reminded him that I had a
doctors appointment for a check-up that morning. He was on his way out of town for a business day
trip. I waddled out to my car, and headed off to work. After my 22 mile drive, that took me 55 minutes in
traffic, I finally arrived. I just so happened to work at the hospital that I used for a medical facility also.
I got up to my office, put my things away, grabbed my stethoscope and headed into the first patients
room. Everything was going smoothly that morning. I was physically miserable, but I was managing.
At 9:45, I headed over to my 10:00am appointment at Dr. Laura Moore's office, my OB/GYN. When I
approached the check-in desk, the girls at the front desk were very surprised to see me. Everyone
couldn't believe I was still pregnant. After all the pre-term labor I had, no one every thought I would
make it this long. I waited patiently until they called me back. As I stepped on the dreaded scale for my
weekly weigh-in, Dr. Moore came around the corner, “ Are you kidding me?” she asked. “Nope,”, I
exclaimed, “still pregnant!” She reached down to pick-up a staple remover, and jokingly said to me,
“I'm going to break your water with this.” I laughed and responded, “If my husband wasn't 2 ½
hours away on business, I'd let you”. I proceeded to be checked in the rest of the way and waited in
the exam room for her. When Dr. Moore finally made it into my room, she had a discouraged look on
her face. She explained to me that my blood pressure, which had been slowly creeping up, had jumped
quite a bit since the last week, and she was probably going to have to admit me to the hospital that day.
She stated that she wanted to go ahead and check my cervix for further dilation first. I had been
having contractions for over two months by then, but had just started to dialate in the past few weeks.
When she checked me, she had a very worried look on her face. I asked her if everything was okay, and
she didn't respond. I asked her again, and at the same time, I felt a sort of pop inside. Then I felt warm
and wet. “Um, oops!” Dr. Moore said shocked. “Did you just break my water?” I asked nervously.
“Yes, but honestly it was an accident.” she stated. I instantly started to feel the contractions becoming
more and more intense. I quickly asked for my cell phone so I could call my husband. I asked her how
dilated I was, and she told me I was a good 5.5cm if not closer to 6cm. I was scared. I quickly tried to
hop down off the table, only to realize, I couldn't put my own clothes back on. I was a mess! Dr. Moore
gave me some towels and exam sheets so I could use them to help contain the “water.” She also gave me
a pair of scrub pants to try. They didn't even come close to fitting me. She there I am, sitting in a
wheelchair, no pants, covered in towels, and contracting! Lindsey, her medical assistant, pushed me
over to the main hospital. I think she was nervous that I might have a baby right there in the hallway,
because with every contraction she walked a little faster. I finally reached my room, and a team of
nurses and techs greeted me with a gown, monitors and an IV pole. The questions started pouring in.
“How would you rate your pain?”, “Do you have a birth plan?”, “Is there anyone we can call for you?”
I tried to answer them, probably throwing in a few choice words about how my husband was 2 ½ hours
away, and if he missed this, I would kill him.
For months, I had been working on my birth plan. I had it set in stone. Of course, I then realized
it was in my packed suitcase, which was in my car, in case I went into labor while at work. Then I
realized I would have no chance of getting it, because I couldn't just waddle down there, broken water,
contracting and all to get my suitcase. I began to panic! Nothing was going as planned.
The SWAT team of nurses, student nurses, techs and doctors that continued to fill my room,
kept me company for what seemed like hours, but was actually only maybe an hour. I dealt with the
pain as long as I could, but it was obviously getting more intense. I requested that the nurse check me
to see if I was anywhere near, close to being able to push. She checked me and said I was a good 8cm
dilated. I had hoped I would be able to deliver without ever having to get an epidural, but the thought
was terrorizing me thinking that I would have a traumatic delivery and that would keep me from
having another child. My husband still wasn't there, so I asked to nurse to go ahead and call
anesthesia so I could get some rest before the real action got started. The anesthesiologist came in within
about 10 min. (Those were the longest 10 minutes ever!) She asked me to bend forward and breathe.
The idea of a 6 inch needle in my back was not helping me relax, but some how I managed. I cried the
whole time she was doing it, because I wanted Nick, my husband, to be there. After she was finished
and had explained to me how the machine would work, I felt instant relief. The pressure was gone!
I laid back, and asked for some privacy. The nurses obliged my request and left the room. I was alone.
I was awoken suddenly by the sound of footsteps running down the hall and someone banging
on my room door.
“Did I miss it?”, Nick questioned.
“Does it look like you missed it?” I said in my most smart ass voice, with my protruding belly
sticking out of the covers.
“I'm so sorry!”, he stated, “I came as fast as I could!”
Behind him was what seemed like the endless train of family members that would attempt to
see this miracle. In a row like ducks they swarmed the room, trying to get a peak at my bed to see if
there was a baby in my arms or belly. My mom was first. Immediately followed by Nick's mom, my
dad, his mom's boyfriend, his brother, and my sister. I had a fear of this. Too many people in my room
while I was trying to push a baby out of my who-ha was not something I needed. Dr. Moore and I had
a “secret word” that would let her know, I needed some space, so she could “be the bad guy” and ask
everyone to leave. The word was Jello. I glared at my nurse, who was aware of the code word, and
shouted, “ I could really use some Jello, right now!”
She laughed under her breath and then nicely asked everyone to step out except Nick, so she could
check my progress.
She smiled as she checked me and said, “You're at 10! Are you ready to push?”
I think I must have been really excited at that point, because I remember squealing like a kid at the
circus.
The next hour went so fast in my mind. I pushed for a few minutes and the nurse yelled, “Stop!
I have to get the doctor, you're better at this than I thought!”
Proud of myself, I laid there, basking in my accomplishments. Looking back, I'm sure the drugs had
something to do with that feeling. I also then requested that my mom be let in the room.
Dr. Moore came in as calm as can be, although it looked like she was walking into a war zone
“Alright sweetie, let's have a beautiful baby girl tonight.” she said encouragingly.
Not at all humored by her cheerfulness I said enthusiasticly fake, “Yay! Time for some fun!”
She suited up into her gear, and headed down south. I can't really recall much of what was said, but
I know she said things looked great. I'm not sure what she meant by great, but nothing about the way
it looked to me in the mirror was normal, let alone great.
Dr. Moore was fantastic! She encouraged and helped me the whole way. I am probably the worst
patient in the world. I kicked and screamed, and I'm certain that it looked like something straight out of
a 1980's instructional birth video. I cussed at everyone who questioned why I was taking a break, and
reprimanded my husband numerous times for not knowing that there is no reason to count past 10.
Having the mirror at my feet was a huge encouragement. I could see my progress and know that
what I was doing was helping bring my daughter into the world.
As I saw her head coming out, I reached down and touched her hair. I wanted to be the first one
to touch her in the outside world.
“Just another big push should do it Sara. You can do it, come on, PUSH!”, Dr. Moore
instructed.
At that moment I don't remember what happened. I went blank. The nurses and Nick, said that
I went into a blank stare and didn't breath for about 45 seconds. I guess I had a panic attack.
The next thing I remember was having my daughter placed on my chest, and being wiped off. The
tears instantly came pouring down, like a rainstorm. I'm not sure, I have ever cried that hard. I can't
even explain why I was crying like that. All the emotions that I had been experiencing just came out at
the sight of my daughter.
“Oh my God, she's gorgeous!” I yelled out.
I looked over at Nick, who is pretty much a “manly man” and he had tears running down his face. I
knew he was already in love and wrapped around her little finger, too.
The nurses took her over to wash her off and check her APGAR scores. Nick followed like a
lost puppy.
Dr. Moore explained to me that I needed just a few internal stitches, and gave me a shot to numb
me even more, so she could do the sutures.
Nick and I had not decided on a name yet. We concluded that you can't choose a name for
someone until you meet them. It'd be like naming your puppy Tiny, before you know it's a Great Dane.
We had a few names picked out, but nothing permanent.
Nick looked at me and said, “How about Aubrey?”
I smiled, knowing that was my favorite name out of the list, and said “Yes!”
I then looked at Dr. Moore, as she was stitching me up and asked, “Can I name her Aubrey?” Again, I'm
sure the drugs had some to do with it.
“You can name her whatever you want.” Dr. Moore said sweetly.
“Okay. Aubrey Nicole Hobeck, is it.” I said to Nick excitedly.
After Dr. Moore was finished with the sutures, she asked if they could let the rest of the family in. I
agreed.
Quickly, they all came rushing in trying to be the first to catch a glimpse of the new baby.
“What's her name?”, I must have heard 100 times.
I waited until everyone was in the room, and Nick and I announced together, that we would like
everyone to meet, Aubrey Nicole Hobeck. Everyone was amazed. She was finally here, and named.
In that moment, I felt myself change. It took one look at my beautiful baby girl, to change the
past 24 years of my life. I had been immature and irresponsible, but now everything was different.
Nothing else in the world, mattered more than her. She was my everything from that moment on.
Life will never me the same now that I am a mother, and I wouldn't change it for anything.
Aubrey Nicole Hobeck
June 17, 2009
7lbs. 8oz
20 in.




Love this!!
ReplyDelete